News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

French magazine firebombed

Started by Sibling DavidH, November 04, 2011, 12:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling DavidH

The office of the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo was firebombed last Tuesday night, after announcing that Wednesday's edition would satirise islamists and have Mohammed on the cover as 'guest editor'.

They plan to reprint the edition.

Caption: "1,000 lashes if you don't die of laughing."

So were the editors brave and noble, or damn silly?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Bad that they were firebombed.  Good that they plan to reprint.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

:soapbox:
There is humility and respect and there is submission and fear. I understand that muslims feel offended by the printing of any image of their prophet, also a part of me thinks that there is no need to anger them over such banality, but, it can't be that their offended feelings become coercion, because that is a very rocky road, if today they are offended by a cartoon what will they be offended next, non-muslim women having their hair out? Will women have to dress, and later, behave in a way that doesn't offend them? What else do not muslims have to change, our diet?

This is a complete idiocy, and it is worth mentioning that fundamentalist xtians have similar ideas but so far have been more restrained on their imposition of their wishes (as said before, there is a law in many US states including FL that prevents me from buying a bottle of wine on a Sunday morning because it is "the day of the lord". Why the heck do I have to comply with some idiotic rule from a religion I do not follow?).

Nope, you may have your religion, and follow it's rules regardless of how awkward they may seem, but you can't try to force those who think differently to follow your stupid rules.
/ :soapbox:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

pieces o nine

^ What Zono said.

I'm pleased they are reprinting, and pleased that Liberation  is lending them office space and press time to do so. As I noted elsewhere, who's serving up the "Freedom Fries" now?   ;)

As far as outrage over depictions of M,pbuh, it is my understanding that this is not expressly forbidden by the Q'uran, but is more a latter-day dogma.  I did not participate in the first Draw Mohammed Day, because of H. This year, though, I did, and plan to every year from now on -- also because of H -- as a private protest that he is not free to even think  of doing so himself.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677