News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

This one will make you proud to be human

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, June 07, 2011, 05:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

http://www.kcci.com/r/19907227/detail.html\

QuoteSurvivor Tells Story Behind Boating Accident

Rescue Used Construction Crane

DES MOINES, Iowa-- A woman saved during a dramatic rescued Tuesday said she and her husband were scouting a place to watch fireworks with their grandchildren when their boat was pulled into the currents of a Des Moines dam.

The long and the short of it:  a couple in a small boat drifted too close to a low-water dam, and went over, capsizing their boat, and trapping the woman in the roiling current at it's base.  The man was swept further downstream.

A local water-rescue boat was unable to navigate the dangerous currents, which kept pushing the woman under repeatedly.  Tossed ropes were ineffective.

Meanwhile, observant construction workers (working on a nearby foot-bridge) saw the dilemma, and thinking quickly, one (who fortunately had on a safety harness) strapped on to the working end of the boom-crane.  His buddy, the operator quickly sprang to the controls, and up-up-and away-- hoisted the harness-wearer out over the water.

He was able to grab the woman, and the crane operator moved both into calmer waters, where she was finally taken onto the rescue boat.

Alas, her husband did not survive, but she was treated and released.

Kudos to those quick-thinking construction dudes, for thinking out of the box.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa