News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Batten down the hatches!

Started by Bluenose, February 01, 2011, 11:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

After twelve years of drought, the Black Saturday bushfires, locust plagues, two rounds of flooding - first in Queensland, then again in Queensland, New South Wales and into Victoria (my home state), now north Queensland looks like it is about to be plastered by severe tropical cyclone Yasi which is a category 5 cyclone with wind speeds up to 300 km/h and is due to arrive over the coast on a 500 km front in the next few hours.  The weather bureau  is forcasting up to a metre of rain or even more in effected areas.  There is predicted to be a storm surge of about 2.7 m at Cairns which is likely to inundate the CBD there.  As I type this I am listening to an emergency warning that is being broadcast to advise people in the effected area to secure themselves now and that there is now only about 3 hours left to evacuate before it becomes too dangerous.  Landfall is expected about 9 or 10 pm.  The advice is that at current rate of progress, the eye of the cyclone will take about an hour to pass overhead and the government is warning not to be lulled into a false sense of security when the eye is overhead.  This is going to be a wild ride indeed for my countymen in North Queensland.

For interest, here is the latest visible satellite photo clearly showing the cyclone out in the Coral Sea.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

ivor

Beat feet Blue!  Category 5 is a killer!

Bluenose

Yeah.  Cyclone Tracey that wiped out Darwin in 1974 was only category 4.  I'm only glad that I am at the other end of the continent.  That's little comfort for those in the path of this mighty storm, of course.  Basically we're all holding our breath for the next 24 hours to see what happens.  It is expected that the cyclone will track inland perhaps to as far as Mount Isa before breaking down into a tropical depression.  In the next couple of weeks or so, Victoria (my home state) can probably expect more tropical style rain.  Just what we need in the flooded areas.  The water has been taking a long time to clear, in fact some towns are only now receiving their peak water, and the last thing we need is a top up.  Mind you, lest anyone think this directly affects Casa del Blue - it doesn't.  The flooding is the other side of the Great Dividing Range to my place, in the vast flood plain that is the Murray-Darling basin.  The flatness is the reason it is taking so long for the flood water to dissipate.  Unlike the recent Queensland floods which came on with frightening rapidity - I'm sure many siblings will have seen video of cars being tossed around like so many corks in the torrent - down here the floods came on much more slowly and gave people time to prepare.  One town (Warracknabeal) was saved by a local earth moving contractor who off his own initiative built 6 kilometres of levy bank around the town.  Anyway, as a result it is taking a long time for the floods to drain away.  Hopefully the washout from the cyclone will not dump too much more onto the flood areas.  Still, that's all in the possible future, the immediate concern is for those in the path of the cyclone.  I'll keep you posted.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Aggie

Here's hoping for the best outcome in a bad scenario.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

If this was the US there would be another cyclone, one of televangelists trying to link the series of natural disasters to the sinful behaviour of the people in the region. >:(
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Good luck to all of you, Bluenose.  Australia's woes this year make our little bit of snow seem rather trivial.

Swatopluk

According to the news on radio the US is currently hit by an extremly heavy snowstorm (currently approaching Chicago).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bluenose

The eye of the cyclone is stil labout 100 km off shore but closing in fast, the area marked "very destructive winds" on the weather bureau's tracking map taken about 20 minutes ago is shown just brushing the coastline.  The blog on the ABC web site has report from people saying that trees are down, buildings are already being damaged.  It looks like the nasty stuff is just beginning.  The next 4-6 hours will be the most telling.

By way of comparision, Yasi is about the same size as Katrina was, but the wind speeds already recorded have exceeded the maximum for Katrina by about 40-50 knots.  This is no picnic.

ivor

That cat 4 storm that hit 80 miles south of me a few years back bent steel light post like they were soda straws...

Bluenose

Hi guys,  just woken up.  The reports are coming in about total devastation from the path of the cyclone.  The cyclone itself is, according to the radio, about 130 km inland now and is currently down to a category 3 cyclone but wind speeds of about 200 km/h are still being recorded near the core.  No reports so far of casualties, but then it might well be a little while before that sort of information can be gathered.  Based on what I heard from people who were under the direct path if no one has been killed it will be some kind of miricle.  Here's hoping...

Edit
Damn.  Just heard that one person has already been reported killed.  How do you respond to something like that? It makes me very sad.

Edit must have been a false report.

Aggie

:candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:

I'll light some candles of hope here where they won't blow out.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Bluenose

Sorry guys, been at work.  The earlier report I heard this morning must have been incorrect.  The current situation is that so far there have been NO reported fatalities or even serious injuries as a result of the cyclone.  Plenty of destruction, to be sure and there will be heart ache enough on that front, but miraculously it seems like we may have escaped without anyone having to pay the ultimate price.  A cause for celebration indeed if it proves to be true!  So we need all the siblings to keep their fingers crossed - and arms and legs and eyes and whatever.   Oh, and three babies were born during the tempest.  Apparently many buildings had been extensively re-built after Cyclone Larry 5 years ago and so even though Yasi was much stronger many structures have survived remarkably well. Overall, the feeling I get from the effected area is very upbeat.

ivor

That's great to hear Blue!  Sounds like people listen to evacuation orders down there! :mrgreen:

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Bluenose on February 03, 2011, 07:17:35 AM
Apparently many buildings had been extensively re-built after Cyclone Larry 5 years ago and so even though Yasi was much stronger many structures have survived remarkably well.
So you guys implemented the lessons learned? That is impressive and wonderful.

I wish I could say the same around here.  >:(
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.