News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Obama gets my vote

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, April 22, 2008, 10:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

This may come as a surprise, but for the first time in many, many years, I'm going to be voting FOR someone.

Assuming Obama wins the Democrats, of course.

I've been watching The Daily Show, and he's been on there several times.

I heard him several times on the radio (his stance on the second amendment was refreshing, for a Democrat.  I'm a libertarian, remember?  :mrgreen: )

He seems quite elegant.  Refined, sure of himself.  But no trace of zealotry or rabid thinking.

They say he's an "elite".  So?  Don't we WANT the best of the best of the best for our TOP JOB?

If the Presidency was Golf-- I would INSIST on Tiger Woods!  Or, at least the top women's golfer (whoever she may be--- see?  Our society is so biased that it did not occur to me to say the top woman golfer until after I wrote that and re-read it...)

Up to now, I've always voted Against.

That is-- determine who you CAN NOT have in office.

Then, determine who has the BEST shot at defeating him/her.   It doesn't matter what your "defeat-alternative" candidate stands for.  You've already eliminated him/her as NOT THE WORST.

But, this time around, I really think I'm going to be voting for Obama.

Of COURSE, I will ALSO be voting against the Republicans-- for handing us the past 8 years. 

Serious Lessons Need Learnin' 

But, I have actually come to admire Obama. 

I'm still not quite certain what he wants to do (except, apparently he's Okay with the 2nd amendment as being interpreted as giving individuals the right to own guns.  He said as much on NPR just today.  I was actually surprised, after the speaker finished, to learn it was Obama speaking.)

To quote Torchwood episode I just watched (dialog paraphrased by me):

Owen talking to a would-be jumper (woman): "Yeah, lifes for sh~~"

Woman: "then why continue? Why go on?

Owen:  "Because, sometimes, it gets better.  Sometimes, there's Music."

Sometimes, my cynical side is amazed.

Sometimes, there's Music.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

For some reason the man exudes openness, is like if it were harder for him to lie or cheat. It may be a trick of clever image managers, but for some untold reason I feel much more trust in the man than almost all politicians I've seen. I don't see or hear the power hunger I hear in others.

Last night on the Daily Show Stewart made fun of him during the interview by asking him to 'hope' some statements; the guy certainly has a trick there.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=166516&title=barack-obama-pt.-2
---
I hope I can vote for him in November.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Ditto.

If he continues on this path--open and honest with what he can provide for us as a leader, then I shall indeed vote for him in November.
And as you say, Bob, the creme de la creme is the best option, so long as he isn't some insufferable snob (the LAST thing we need is another silver spooner!).
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay