News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Skynet's inception date has come...

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, April 24, 2011, 08:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

... and gone unremarked.

But.

Some of the first steps really are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1czBcnX1Ww

[youtube=425,350]W1czBcnX1Ww[/youtube]

This thing is an amazing mimic of evolved 4 legged motion.  Late in the video, it even gallops and hops/jumps similar to a horse.

Also, it's kinda creepy...

:)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

I've seen sort clips of similar (? or the same?) creature before, but that was some video!  Some bits of its locomotion reminded me quite strongly of Chinese Dragon dancers, or the human actors learning to work with the Landstrider costumes in The Dark Crystal.

Watching it scrabble around on the ice and over the concrete block pile was ... disturbing.  :-\
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aggie

Some early footage of the Big Dog:

[youtube=425,350]VXJZVZFRFJc[/youtube]

Seriously, though - for motion control, the approach taken is with this robot is very good.  Instead of humans trying to program for every possibility, they let the thing learn what works and what doesn't.  The fact that it looks uncannily natural is a testament to nature.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Shame about the buzzing noise. I felt like getting my insect killer spray out. Also, it reminds me of a pantomime horse.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

I think we talked about this (and his companion Little Dog) here some years ago.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Griffin NoName on April 25, 2011, 04:33:42 AM
Shame about the buzzing noise. I felt like getting my insect killer spray out. Also, it reminds me of a pantomime horse.
Note how the one in the lab attached to the big frame with cables going out is pretty silent. My guess is that the either hydraulic or electric servos require a power supply and the easier thing they could do was to use a two stroke engine likely from a mower or something similar. If the thing needs electricity I imagine a LiIon battery pack would make it far more silent, if it's hydraulic some noise is bound to happen regardless of the energy source.
Quote from: Swatopluk on April 25, 2011, 08:48:00 AM
I think we talked about this (and his companion Little Dog) here some years ago.
I have the same feeling. It's still cool, though.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

It's the headlessness that I find bothersome.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Aggie on April 24, 2011, 11:01:16 PM
Some early footage of the Big Dog:

[youtube=425,350]VXJZVZFRFJc[/youtube]

Seriously, though - for motion control, the approach taken is with this robot is very good.  Instead of humans trying to program for every possibility, they let the thing learn what works and what doesn't.  The fact that it looks uncannily natural is a testament to nature.

Amusing parody of the actual robot...

:)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

I hoped someone would pick up on that. ;)
WWDDD?

pieces o nine

Looks like they kept losing their  --[duct tape]--  flip-flops!
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677