News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Curiosities of Archaeology

Started by Swatopluk, April 01, 2009, 04:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

The tale got around quite a bit but only some reactionaries still believe that it originated from Stratford-upon-Avon.
Just typing the fairy-tale, so I think I'll be able to post it in about an hour.

Edit: I posted it in the Kalethulu thread in the Arts Gallery
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Swatopluk

Update
Hard at work (on paper, it will take many hours to type it all into the computer)

Finished:
Synopsis and analysis of the Vita Sancti Ultherii (Life of St.Ulufer)
Synopsis and partial analysis of Óltherismál vs. Hristarismál

Great progress on the Thugela rune drum in the context of the Vardø witch trials.
I found out some time ago that quite a lot of what I thought I had made up from whole cloth is quite close to real stuff, namely the Hammer of St.Hubert.

The long text on the Kilpisjärvi rune stone will still take a lot of work and I still have to translate Adam of Bremen's chapter IV.31a into Latin from my 'extended' German version.

I did a slight revision yesterday after learning that there was an actual person by the name of Ohthere who happened to come from the very region I located Thugela. It's even the right time period :D
Now I have to find out if I can draw a believable connection between Lovecraft and the Norwegian witch trials (the connection to Adam of Bremen is easy).

Now, where can I get a book contract? ;)

Edit: Ohthere's report is even on wiki
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bright%27s_Anglo-Saxon_Reader/The_Voyages_of_Ohthere_and_Wulfstan

Swatopluk

Here's the paper on the two versions of the Song of Ólthere
Parts of the song text can be found in the Kalethulu thread in the Arts Gallery
The paper on the story the church made out of it will follow soon.

Swatopluk

And here we have the Life of St.Ulufer aka Vita Sancti Ultherii.
That's what happens when a heroic song falls under church control ;)

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Good spoof.  So I am now an M.A. of Uxavað, eh?

In fact, we no longer consider the name 'Oxford' to  be 'ford for oxen', but rather a British (Celtic, pre-Saxon) river-name similar to 'Ouse' or 'Exe' + -n- for added OE genitive + 'ford'.  University jargon calls the Oxford stretch of the Thames 'Isis', which might be a relic of this.

Can you work that in?

Swatopluk

Too late, I fear. Through the Thugela connection and the drum there may be a path to Egypt but that would not be Isis but Nyarlathotep. The drum stuff alone is already 10 handwritten pages and I have still to type all of that. My in-depth analysis of the Kilpisjärvi stone in the historical context of Thugela is far from finished. Currently I concentrate on the paper about motive shifts in the Ólthere complex from the historic event to the fairy-tale (e.g. how could the otter turn into an owl?). And there are some manuscripts to fake too (the first page of the Vita, the extra chapter to Adam of Bremen). Lots of work.
I had to burn a lot of evidence in the great Copenhagen fire of 1728 :mrgreen: