News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

My Hill

Started by Griffin NoName, September 26, 2006, 12:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Kephra (Tansy)

We had pancakes for dinner on MY HILL.  It was a lazy day... there were naps involved.
Starting a new job tomorrow.  :D
Insanity takes it's toll; please have correct change.

Sibling Chatty

Yay on new job! Hope it's a satisfying one, and has good working conditions and co-workers!!

Preparing for tomorrows Annual Festive Celebration on My Hill.

(It's Big Dead Cow Festival Day, the Sunday after Thanksgiving...also known as Dan's birthday party, and the reason we came to Somerville in the first place. Steak and cake!! YUM!!)
This sig area under construction.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Tomorrow is the Last Day of a nice 4 day Do Nothing period, on My Hill.

Been a while since I'd had one of those. :D

I DID get plenty of tryptophan, though. :)

Sib Chatty's celebration does sound like fun, though-- who can resist pie and cow?* (heh)

* Pie and Cow - actually, it sort of sounds like a new cartoon, or the name of some alternative-wanna-be band, now that I've said it several times ... ::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Chatty

AS long as it's not cowpies...

No cowpies on My Hill--although there's a round-up going on in my side yard. Not cattle, deer. One of the deer that lives inside our town limits was wandering toward the highway, so the local cop and one of the county guys (and the county EMS coordinator, the brother of the local cop) are out trying to get it back into a safer area. Two cars and a guy on a horse, just joined by the mayor on his Harley.

Sometimes this place is almost surreal.

OH, it's got a fawn with it!!

Like I said, surreal.

Quote from: Sibling Chatty on November 26, 2006, 04:44:50 AM
AS long as it's not cowpies...

No cowpies on My Hill--although there's a round-up going on in my side yard. Not cattle, deer. One of the deer that lives inside our town limits was wandering toward the highway, so the local cop and one of the county guys (and the county EMS coordinator, the brother of the local cop) are out trying to get it back into a safer area. Two cars and a guy on a horse, just joined by the mayor on his Harley.

Sometimes this place is almost surreal.

OH, it's got a fawn with it!!

Like I said, surreal.

Bambi? (on my hill)  ;D ;D

Griffin NoName

cancelling tomorrow on my hill; too windy
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

We had one of those days last week. Blew the stupid van all over the road. Dodge Gran Caravan with 4 people and 2 wheelchairs in it, and almost blown into the ditch!!

Tired of being the driver on My hill.

Griffin NoName

morning insomnia on my hill; very rare and peculiar
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Took nap 8:30pm.  Something or other woke me up 'round 11:30pm-- now can't sleep on My Hill.

*sigh*

The Meromorph

New HVAC being installed today on My Hill. The old unit is 12 years old, has never worked properly in the upstairs bedrooms, and has been failing rgularly for the past two years. (I'll never understand why builders install one unit for a two story house, with only one return... ::))
We're putting in two separate systems (one for each level). :D
Dances with Motorcycles.

Quote from: Quasimodo (The Meromorph) on December 05, 2006, 03:19:01 PM
New HVAC being installed today on My Hill. The old unit is 12 years old, has never worked properly in the upstairs bedrooms, and has been failing rgularly for the past two years. (I'll never understand why builders install one unit for a two story house, with only one return... ::))
We're putting in two separate systems (one for each level). :D

Having installed quite a number of 2-level split units now, I would add that you should seriously consider a door or other air-barrier between the upstairs and the down.

Allowing them to mix, usually results in the downstairs doing all the heating, and the upstairs doing all the cooling.

And, with a 2-unit system, I seriously doubt either is up to the job.

Thus, a simple door at the top (or bottom) of the stairs can work miracles ... especially if everyone sleeps upstairs, and you have a nifty programmable thermostat on each.  Less heat daytime upstairs, more daytime heat downstairs, and vice-versa when everyone's upstairs asleep. 

You can save enough on your fuel bills (be it electric, gas, coal, wood or hamsters-in-a-wheel) using this method to easily pay for a programmable one in one heating season.  And, come cooling time, it's money in your pocket!  ;D

xxxxx

Installing a HVAC in a house that currently only has a window-unit and a floor-furnace.

Everything from scratch! On my Hill.

The Meromorph

For whatever reason, we get virtually no interchange between the levels now. So I don't anticipate that problem. We've extensive experience of split systems in the vacation houses we usually rent.. They seem to work fine even with 4 or 5 degree differences on the two levels (It's the standard set-up in that area.)
We actually have three levels (the bonus room [500 sq feet with 16 foot ceiling] is kind of a half level between the other two on one end) the only return was on the lower level (with the thermostat). Neither of the other two levels were properly served. The old unit was 4 ton.
Bob,
We'll have a 2 ton unit serving the bottom level and a 2 1/2 ton unit serving the other two, with a return on both of the other levels and the new thermostat on one of the levels (we haven't decided which yet and will trust the advice of our HVAC guy [who is very good]). Both thermostats are programmable, and there will only occasionally be a 1 degree difference in temps on the thermostats (I require one degree higher for two hours on the lower level while I shower and dry in the mornings :))
The 4 ton unit cannot (does not) bring either of the other two level up or down to spec temperature, so I know neither of the new units could possibly do the job on its own. So the thermostat on the other system will cause that system to do it. I am confident that the scenario you envisage cannot happen, particularly not with virtually identical settings on both thermostats. There were commonly 8 or more degrees difference between the levels with the old system.
Expecting much better results and lower bills (going from 10 SEER to 13 SEER) on My Hill.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Good for you!  The 10-to-13 will make a difference, especially the A/C (which are electricity-hogs, no matter what ::) )

Another thing is your filters-- that is one of the most overlooked, but easiest to control things people (don't) do.  But, if your guy is good, he will likely have given you a speech about that.  :D

Programmable thermo are really cool, and I wouldn't have it any other way, actually. Especially in summer, where 1 degree warmer has a noticeable affect on the bill. ::)

Good luck! Sounds like you've thought through things pretty well.

xxxxxx

Going to bed, now, on My Hill.

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

Trying to figure out what to write in my paper in Philosophy on my hill.

I have no idea what to write. And what about.

on my hill...

I'm back..

Quote from: Kiyoodle the Gambrinous on December 06, 2006, 09:39:22 AM
Trying to figure out what to write in my paper in Philosophy on my hill.

I have no idea what to write. And what about.

on my hill...

As a writer once advised to anyone wanting to write-- write what you know.

As true for philosophy as any other subject  ;D

About to drink morning coffee... *ding* there, it's ready!  On My Hill.