News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

My Hill

Started by Griffin NoName, September 26, 2006, 12:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

Yeah, I forgot about the Add-ons until someone pointed it out, and I guess I *might* miss StumbleUpon, but upon further reflection, this way I don't waste time stumbling. If I really want to though, I still have Firefox.

But as many free things as google does, it's still a Company, so they'll want to make their product better. Especially if they want to encourage change in other browsers.

Liking the idea of either intentionally creating something better, or choosing the lesser in order to make the best better on my hill.
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Scriblerus the Philosophe

I use them all the time--for facebook (Boost), research (Jetpack), blogging (Scribefire), and other things, too. And I <3 BetterGmail, though that just skins gmail.

Last confused on my hill Post
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

Yeah, Add-ons are the kind of thing that if I have nothing to do and remember about, I'll look them up, but for the most part I don't use.

Realizing how simmilar this is to the "Qwerty is..." on facebook... on my hill.
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I'm using chrome for gmail and the unwrapped monastery for speed, but everything else is Firefox, just AddBlock is enough to keep me on the mozilla camp. And the other is the ability of FF3 to scale websites (including pictures), that's the feature that sold me on FF3.

I have work and no desire to do it on My Hill
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

My Hill has been hit by an Admiinistrative Carpert Bomb; why does Nato ignore government red tape terrorism?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

My hill is getting semi-torrential rains and some kind of wind maybe?

beagle

Quote from: Sibling Qwertyuiopasd on September 06, 2008, 12:35:23 AM
But as many free things as google does, it's still a Company, so they'll want to make their product better. Especially if they want to encourage change in other browsers.

They'll be pushing like mad for it to be the browser of choice for downloadable pay-as-you-go applications and Cloud computing.  Superficially that's very attractive, until you remember that having all your applications and data under someone elses bureaucratic control was the reason Windows stole market share from the mainframe/mini IBM and DECs of this world in the first place. And your average company computer department, sluggish and incompetent though it may have been, wasn't a third party searching through your data for interesting nuggets.

In the short term I reckon the difficulty of upgrading/maintaining Chrome (or Firefox) across a big organisation with no Active Directory support will weigh against it in big enterprises, but eventually if it's stable and can combine stable ,cheap, downloadable apps with local data then it could make big inroads. The home market might be easier to crack.

The lack of support for mouse gestures and URL aliases sent me back to IE7 Pro, and that's another problem Google face; if they add everybody's favourite feature to win converts then the browser will get as complex as Firefox/IE.
One smart thing they've done (as I understand it) is compartmentalize exception handling so as to pin the blame on exactly what crashed. IE should do the same. With IE7 and just IE7 Pro add-in it has never crashed for me, but people who fill the browser with rubbish add-ins tend to blame the browser when things go wrong.

Pontificating on industry trends on my hill

The angels have the phone box

Quote from: beagle on September 06, 2008, 09:03:53 PM
snip...The lack of support for mouse gestures and URL aliases sent me back to IE7 Pro..../snip

When I had a free-standing mouse (until Microsoft ate the damn thing again), I had absolutely no problem with mouse gestures. Always worked.

Currently avoiding studying on my Hill.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Home, again on My Hill.

Fixed a compressor today, by replacing it.  Had to re-do one connection, got in a hurry and burned a hole in the copper tube.  (which had to be excised and replaced with a short piece of non-holy tubing... adding approximately 1 hour... *sigh* )

Working excellently when I was done.  Cool house = happy customers.

Now, I'm enjoying some re-hydration.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Accounts don't do themselves on My Hill :(
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Dealing with a bounced email mystery on My Hill
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

sipping on caffienated soda on my hill, yes still somehow planning on hitting the sack soonish.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Long day.

Lots of minor cuts on m'fingers-- working with sheet metal. 

Hates sheet metals, we does.   We hates it.   We would rather pound our fingers with hammers, we hates it so....

...but it's what I had to do, today.

Now, where's My Precious got to? 

.....on my hill...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

Sympathizing wif Bob's fingers regarding the sheet metalses.
We hates what we found of it in the garage, we do, precious, on my hill.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Had a double tall latte on my hill after a coke, and I'm damn tired still. Ugh, and I have to pull an all nighter.