News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

My Hill

Started by Griffin NoName, September 26, 2006, 12:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Absolutely lovely new daughter-in-law on My Hill ;D whose husband has been very kind to me in the last few days during health problems.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Darlica

Name-day on My Hill!

My mum and I share this this name-day, I made us a chocolate/raspberry cake.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

Been in hospital on My Hill. At least, I think it was on My Hill. My discharge notes say low grade chest infection. Patchyness base of left lung, wcc 14.7 with neutrophillia and CRP 38. I asked my psych. what this all meant. He says I have pneumonia. Learn something new every day. I didn't know pneumonia was a low grade infection. I've always found people get quite worked up about pneumonia on My Hill. Must be softies ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 03, 2008, 01:39:25 AM

Been in hospital on My Hill. At least, I think it was on My Hill. My discharge notes say low grade chest infection. Patchyness base of left lung, wcc 14.7 with neutrophillia and CRP 38. I asked my psych. what this all meant. He says I have pneumonia. Learn something new every day. I didn't know pneumonia was a low grade infection. I've always found people get quite worked up about pneumonia on My Hill. Must be softies ;)

Lungs are supposed to be sterile.

"pneumonia" literally means "lung infection" and that's pretty much it.

It can be viral or bacterial or other-- all classed as "pneumonia".

"double pneumonia" simply means an infection in both lungs...

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on August 03, 2008, 02:13:06 AM

They seem to believe anti-biotic will kill it so presume it is bacterial.

And in any case, what are you doing on My Hill Bob?
Psychic Hotline Host

Quote from: Griffin NoName on August 03, 2008, 02:46:06 PM
Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on August 03, 2008, 02:13:06 AM

They seem to believe anti-biotic will kill it so presume it is bacterial.

And in any case, what are you doing on My Hill Bob?

'ave an 'eadache that won't quit.  Not enough to actually medicate, though.

Perhaps some Tea on My Hill.

'cept that I'm overly hot* thermo says it's 88 degrees F.  That's what, 35C or so?

It's not too humid, the window unit is helping with that, else I'd just shove the damn thing out onto the ground...

I think I'll go read.  And some nice tepid tea.   Maybe iced.

*A/C's busted, waiting on STUPID landlord's actions-- I don't fix window units; they are essentially disposable items anyway, and no provision TO fix'em

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Aww, poor cranky Bob. Can't imagine OK is comfortable without an AC.

Survived my friends' wedding on not-their-Hill. Kind of awkward. Kind of a mess. Desperately needed someone to whip them all into order (the family behind us made me homicidal, but I refrained out of respect for the bride and groom. And I didn't want to stain my skirt). Survived another encounter with a hookah bar after the wedding--that stuff, while fairly pleasant initially, makes me kind of sick.
Currently enjoying my time off before work on my Hill.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Quote from: Scriblerus the Philosophe on August 04, 2008, 10:22:08 PM
Aww, poor cranky Bob. Can't imagine OK is comfortable without an AC.

It ain't.    >:(

I suppose it's a case of the cobbler's kids being barefoot....  ::)

Window A/C units are made as cheaply as possible-- no provision for repair, really.  There are methods, but this unit is so on-it's-last-legs that the repair would be worth more than the unit itself.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit shy on cash at present, so I can't complain to my landlord-- he would naturally insist on me paying rent, first.... (imagine that). 

No worries, though-- I'll have the cash in a day or five, and I'll insist then, on a replacement--- AND insist that he assist me in installing the darn thing-- they are heavy! 

(If only I could count on my roommate.... *sigh*)

Still hot on My Hill-- but I've got three (3) fans blowing directly on me, and it's not impossible...

(one thing I've plenty of is the makings for any number of fans.  Old furnace blowers fitted out with power-cords and baffles make excellent fans.....total cost is usually zero, if I salvage the power cord from a dead power tool...anyone want one?  ;D  Shipping would likely be more than it'd be worth, though.... <heh> )

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

You may want to try my ultra AC unit ;)

In the Alfa 0.2 version instead of using ziplock bags you can use used soda/beer cans. Try to flat the cans on the sides (to make something like a parallelepiped, fill them with water, place them in the fridge and pull them while solid. Then you place them in front of your fan, make a duct if you like, and enjoy the cooling for as long as the ice melts (I guess around 30 mins). If you have enough cans and space on your freezer you can rotate them for longer results.  ;)
-----------
About to read my daily dose of webcomics on My Hill. 
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

I'm seriously considering cooking up a swamp cooler, just to see how well it works (or not).

I've fans aplenty, as I said.  All I need is a small-ish water pump.....and a bucket and some nozzles.

Bucket?  Got.

Nozzles?  I think I might use a couple from those DIY sprinkler/irrigation systems.  The tubing is cheap enough, the fittings too.

Most expensive part will be the pump.  A pond/fountain pump?  Hmmm.  I seem to recall having one of those around here somewhere or other...

....I must stop at the Home Center on the way home.

Alas... it's 6:00pm on My Hill.

It's cooled off enough, that I'm off to replace a fan motor on a piece-of-crap rooftop unit.   

I hates working on old junk-- the landlord refuses to replace it (even though it's literally an electrical hazard) and the renter won't spend the $$ either.

Stupid laws in OK allow the landlord to foist off costs like this onto commercial renters and get away with it.

If the renter does elect for replacement, the landlord can easily turn around and hike his rent!   Zero protection.

AND the Landlord can get a "capitol improvement" credit, too.... under the guise of improved "green" laws, because all new A/C units must meet the new, more strict standards of efficiency.

It's a racket, I tells ya:  be a slumlord landlord in Tulsa.  You can strike it rich, if you work the system right....

Griffin NoName

MY Hill is an utter mess.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Friends of the family on My Hill. The mother of our friend was making some traditional food and we have a nice box with goodies to go.  :D
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Well, a follow-up on the piece-of-crap rooftop unit.

The fan was replaced.

Then, the power-supply (transformer).  Then the contactor/relay. 

Still tripping fuses, but no short evident.

More checking-- it would run, then not-run, then run again. 

Finally, I decided to check the freon.  I let some out, to purge the air from my hoses-- and *WHEW*  Nerve Gas Odor!  Whenever FREON gets "cooked" by electricity or other high heat, it transforms into a nasty-smelling substance that vets tell me is akin to nerve gas.  (not quite as deadly, but dangerous enough)  Note that the temperatures must be very, very hot-- several thousands of degrees or more.  Otherwise, FREON is so inert that it's commonly used for medical inhalers (no, really-- check the labels on asthma inhalers.  Most use FREON propellant).

Anyway, I had my cause for this whole fuss:  a blown compressor.  It was obviously shorting out, but only occasionally.  (happens once in a great while..)

So, all my hard work really was in vain:  the damn thing was shot to begin with-- there's no replacing a compressor that old.  The unit MUST be replaced at that point; it's akin to dropping a new engine into a rusty car with bald tires, a bad tranny and broken windows.  You COULD, but should you?  Answer: only if your labor AND cost of the engine is FREE.

Home, today, on My Hill.  Nice.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

That sucks.

Home from work and enjoying my final hours before school starts up again (although I don't have to *actually* be anywhere before 1pm).

Last fairly pleasant day on my Hill Post
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

Bad night on My Hill. New Ban the The Bad Nights medication works well but not consistently. I suppose that would be asking for the Moon.
Psychic Hotline Host